Friday, April 28, 2006

Paint

After a couple false starts and clean-outs with my small detail spray gun during both primer and finish paint I switch to the larger HVLP gun. I'd strained the remnant cans into a full quart of unopened gold paint and still caught grits of dried paint in the process somehow. It causes me to open the material feed enough to get it through the tip, and re-adustment. Eventually the paint runs through smoothly.

These pictures were taken before the paint was fully dried. I think in this situation before leaving for the day watching paint dry was interesting.

I don't know what I was trying to see before turning out all the lights and contemplating the finish of it. I had faith that it would turn out as a reasonable facsimile of the other pilasters, and now believe it has done just that in this restoration. I guess I'm trying to let it sink in. There is still a small corner piece to cast and install. I won't dare tear the wooden one down until I have it in hand. The trim carpentry for the panel mould for the rest of the walls should be relatively easy after all this. One visiting person asked if she could have a larger casting scrap for an eccentric, or offbeat bookshelf. I got a kick out of that.